There is Path and then there is Purpose. We have to stick to our Purpose because that is our true north. While we have to be open-minded about which Path to take – because the right one will bring us closer to our Purpose.
Today is my last working day in P&G – a great company with great brands and great people. I am grateful, humbled, and honored to have P&G as my path in the last 13 years. And what an awesome path it was.
I learned so much and here are the TEN biggest ones:
1. Trust = character + competence + compassion. Trust leads to influence. Influence leads to leadership. And leadership leads to change.
2. Humility leads to learning. Learning leads to growth. Humility also builds patience and removes the sense of entitlement. This then brings joy and peace of heart. Growth + joy + peace of heart are the ingredients of fulfillment.
3. The only real competition is yourself. Focus on becoming better today versus yesterday. Do not worry about competing with others – you have your path and they have theirs.
4. Passion, kindness, and joy are contagious. Show up with them everyday. Spread them around. They make everyone’s day better – including yours.
5. Choose to give value to others versus receiving value yourself. Giving is way better than receiving – and as strange as it sounds, it is actually more beneficial for you.
6. You are unique. You have your strengths. Find out what they are and use them. It is a disservice to yourself and to your organization if you conform to the norm. Be different – the world needs your being different.
7. Confidence is all about faking it till you make it. The best antidote to fear are habits. If you are afraid to speak in public, keep on speaking until habit replaces fear.
8. Relationships built on trust brings better and faster results than intellect and hardwork.
9. Goals written down get accomplished. Goals not written down get forgotten.
10. Give quality time to your work and quantity time to your family. Not the other way around. Family first. Health second. Work, a distant third.
11. Get mentors. Be one too. Get trained. And train others too.
12. Never take yourself too seriously. Use humor as often as possible.
13. Always exceed expectations. I promised you 10 lessons and i gave you 13. 🙂 One for each year spent in P&G.
The P&Gers are a special kind – they do great work, they posses great minds, and they have great hearts. It makes me sad that I will not get to see my P&G friends as often as i see them now. But at the same time, i have joy in my heart joy knowing that the friendships I’ve built here will remain real and strong even after i leave.
In two weeks time, i start with Puregold. The Path ahead scares me because I am new to it. But in my heart I know that it is one great company too and if i can find a way to navigate it, i will have a great chance not just to get to my Purpose, but maybe help others find theirs too. And this excitement more than trumps the fear. The coming years will either be epic awesomeness or epic heartache. And what’s life without a few risks? 🙂
Goodbye P&G – i was enchanted to meet you. I had the time of my life fighting dragons with you. Long live.
Hello Puregold – nice to meet you, where you’ve been? I can show you incredible things.
Onwards i go. 🙂 #pgemp